Learning From an Icon

I just finished reading the book "iCon, Steve Jobs, The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business". The part I really liked was the stories on the start of Apple Corporation. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak are apparently brilliant people in their own way. Jobs is the marketing genius. And Woz is the consummate electronics hacker. Both these guys had jobs early on for good companies (Atari and Hewlett Packard). And they had a kickin idea for a product in the Apple I Computer. However they still had a lot of problems during start up.

For one thing, Jobs and Woz had problems financing their hardware production. Nobody seemed to be interested in them, at least not enough to fund them. They had trouble buying parts to put their computers together to resell. Now if these guys had it that hard, I am starting to fear that I may be in for a lot of pain in my own business. The other thing that strikes me is that even after Apple had encountered a lot of success, it seemed to be on the brink of doom after a string of unfortunate events.

I guess the bottom line is that running a successful business is hard, and it is even harder starting one up. Luckily I have never been one to run from a challenge due to the level of difficulty encountered. Next up I plan to read the book Micro ISV by Bob Walsh. In fact I already zoomed through the first chapter. So far so good.