Work for Yourself

Some guy recently tendered his resignation to his boss. He is now happily self-employed. How did he do it? He made a goal to quit within a year. Things went well. He got to meet his goal. There was a monster list of comments from the blog entry declaring this guy’s freedom. I thought I would discuss some o9f the tactics he used to generate the recurring income needed to quit.

The first was a general principle he applied to his writing. He made sure that he truly added value. That is a rare commodity these days. You get a lot of ranting on the Internet. But how much of it actually adds tangible value to you? Not a whole lot I bet. I have not read any substantial writing from this author. If he is truly adding value to his readers, then I can see why he might be successful.

The second principle this author uses is ensure his blog posts are must reads. He had tried hard to set himself apart from the bunch of bloggers out there. That seems like a good angle. You tend to want to read those bloggers that push the limits. Or you like somebody who is extremely controversial because it is interesting. I need to learn how to do that. Normally I write about the daily grind, which is normally not too exciting for anybody other than myself.

The final thing I want to mention about this self-employed author is that he wrote and published an e-book for sale. The thing is actually bringing in money for the guy. I find that exciting. Authors whom I respect have repeatedly stated that there is no money in writing books. Just yesterday I read a post about a Ruby developer who, in the end, made less than minimum wage on his book writing endeavors. Perhaps you get more profit it you self publish and release your book electronically. I will have to look into this.

Be on the lookout for more insight from one man who now is his own boss. I think I about going to learn more about him, and write about my findings here. The guy’s name is Jonathan. His blog is the illuminatedmind, which is “the less boring side of personal development”.