MagicJack

The other night I was watching TV when the station turned to some infomercials. I can’t believe I actually watched a couple of them. The first one was a local car dealer that came up with some new way to finance the cars he sells. It was boring to say the least. However the next infomercial was actually fun to watch. It was a sales pitch for the MagicJack. I am actually thinking about buying one of these devices. I thought I would mention some of the good marketing skills used in their pitch.

They used the same sales technique of starting out with a price of $69.95. Then it went down to $59.95, $49.95, and finally $39.95. No rocket science here. The guy making the sale had a nice suit on. He estimated that this device could save me $1000. To demonstrate he pulled out ten $100 bills and counted them. He said I could save all that the same way he pocketed the bejamins.
The salesman wanted to demonstrate how easy this device was to install and use. He had an 11 year old girl come on. The guy hands her the device. The girl says that it is as easy as “One two three” to use it. She plugs it into a computer USB port. Then she plugs a phone into the MagicJack. Finally she calls her grandma. Of course this was staged since she says “Hi grandma” and hangs up the phone. But the point was well taken. This thing is easy to use. Either that or grandma just got a prank phone call.

Now to seal the deal, the salesman says you can get the device for a 30 day free trial with no cost to you. If you don’t like it they will pay for return postage. This sounds like a deal where you can’t lose. There are some testimonials from people such as a CNN anchor. The sales dude says the device is FCC approved and has 7 patents pending.

The only thing holding me back at this point is my instinct. When things sound too good to be true, they usually are. I checked them out on the Internet. They did not previously mention that you need a broadband Internet connection. But I have that covered. These guys were good enough to get me to check out their Internet site. I also Googled them, looking for any signs of a scam. There are additional details which caution me. Their app requires me to view advertising. And some people state that there is no way to return the device without being charged.

Whether this MagicJack is a scam or not is beside the point. These guys put out a first rate sales pitch that got me interested in at least taking a second look. I am going to try to learn from them for my own marketing.